Subject: Re: boot help for a newbie?
To: JHS <jhergan@home.com>
From: charlie allom <yeled@rubberduck.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2000 11:37:11
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, JHS wrote:

> That's what I thought...but I wasn't certain.

i'm never certain.

> My printenv yields:
> boot-device ide0/@0:0
> boot-file  netbsd
> boot-command  boot
>
> So I typed 'boot' and I got this error:
> boot can't OPEN: ide0/@0:0
>
> I thought this was because I needed to set the boot-file to 'ofwboot.xcf' but
> even that doesn't work.  Did I corrupt my drive when I force-restarted the
> powerbook?  Or am I still missing something obvious?  Like I said, it worked

i note that it worked directly after you patched your OF. now i remember
that resetting some models of powerbooks will also flash the PRAM. i dont
think the PDQ's did this but im not sure.

first check that all the nvram garble is still there. and the env
'use-nvram?' is set to 'true'

if it isn't, you've reset your PRAM somewhere along the line, which is why
the OF can't find the ide0 device which may only be an alis once the nvram
has been patched.

did that make sense? i do this when i want to reset my nvram. boot from CD
into MacOS 9. then mount an appleshared hdd, over the network, that has
the system disk application. patch, and i dont need to touch my hdd that
has all the NetBSD files on it.

otherwise i cant think of a situation why ide0 is there once and never
again.

c.

--
charlie@rubberduck.com