Subject: Re: boot help for a newbie?
To: JHS <jhergan@home.com>
From: charlie allom <yeled@rubberduck.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2000 10:42:04
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, JHS wrote:

> 1. forced reboot into OF.
> 2.  setenv boot-file ofwboot.xcf (because I have OF 2.01)

ok i know that the books say you should do this, but i *think* the
boot-file environment variable just get's passed to the bootloader ( /boot
- am i wrong?) so setting it to 'netbsd' will tell /boot to load netbsd.

> 3.  setenv boot-command 0 bootr

i find this isn't required.

> This yielded a black screen and nothing more.

im getting black screens on a 'reboot' or a 'shutdown -r now' not sure
what this is.

> I booted into OF again and simply typed:
> boot ide0/@0:0,ofwboot.xcf

with your setenv's you shouldn't need to specify these on the command
line. just 'boot' will read your setenv's. so typing this all after
setting setenv's makes all your environment variables a pointless
exercise.

> that made it work (namely: boot ide0/@0:0,ofwboot.xcf) I just get a flashing "I
> can't see the System folder" icon.  When I try to just let it boot by itself
> (without forcing it into OF) I just get the same flashing "?"

well once you get the flashing ? or the flashing X with the grey screen it
means you've hit the Mac's ROM. which you don't want to do. you'll find it
is a default boot-device (/APPL,ROM or somesuch)

try a 'printenv boot-device' to see what you are set to. make sure the
boot-device is that ide0 stuff.

make sure your env's are correct and try again, im interested how it turns
out.

c.

--
charlie@rubberduck.com