Subject: Re: boot help for a newbie?
To: charlie allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: JHS <jhergan@home.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2000 09:07:02
> it also sounds like you have patched your OF via the System Disk (correct?)
>
> if you have installed 1.4.2 on the internal IDE hdd, then booting it
> with the command:
>
> boot ide0/@0:0,netbsd should work
>
> that's
> boot-device	ide0/@0:0
> boot-file		netbsd

> charlie@rubberduck.com

Thanks, Charlie!  And thanks to all of the kind contributers to the NetBSD site.
I did get it to boot...once.  Now it won't work again for some unknown reason.
Here's what I did:
1. reinstalled os8.6 and used the System Disk tool to set the settings for OF
    2.01.
2.  Reinstalled.
3.  Rebooted.
This yielded a white screen on reboot.
So I:
1. forced reboot into OF.
2.  setenv boot-file ofwboot.xcf (because I have OF 2.01)
3.  setenv boot-command 0 bootr
3. setenv boot-device ide0/@0:0
4 rebooted
This yielded a black screen and nothing more.
So:
I booted into OF again and simply typed:
boot ide0/@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
...and it worked!

But after looking (ls) at the different partitions I typed (and I guess this was
bad) "halt" to shut the machine down.  Half the display disappeared and the
machine froze.  So I eventually force-rebooted and now when I type the command
that made it work (namely: boot ide0/@0:0,ofwboot.xcf) I just get a flashing "I
can't see the System folder" icon.  When I try to just let it boot by itself
(without forcing it into OF) I just get the same flashing "?"
So:  what now?  At least I know it _will_ work...but how do I get it to boot
back into NetBSD again?

Sorry to be so verbose, but maybe my idiocy will help someone else down the
line.

Thanks again,
Jeff