Subject: Many thanks, still need info on models
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/04/2000 22:38:53
The response to my last request for info was *much* better.  The supported
model list is now nearly complete.  Thanks to everyone that contributed
information.

It looks like *every* Open Firmware Apple/clone machine (with only a few
exceptions) runs NetBSD.  The exceptions (AFAIK) are the 7200 (PPC 601),
the 20th Anniv. Mac (LCD issues?), and just-released models.  Other models
have serious issues (such as pciide, keyboard on iBook, early Beige G3s,
and so on), but it *is* possible to get NetBSD running on them.

There are only a few gaps that need filling in.  Here's what I need:

Support for the following models is unknown.  Let me know if they work or
don't work:
	any of the newly introduced Apple models (FireWire iBook, Cube, MP G4)
	Starmax 5000/300 (with Twin Turbo)
	PowerCurve
	Umax J700
	Any non-US Apple machine (such as the 8200)
	Any Apple "Server" model (such as the 8515)
	Any Daystar model

The version of Open Firmware really changes how the system boots.  A
complete list of OF versions would really be helpful.  I'm missing OF
versions for the following models:
	PowerBook G3 Series (bronze keyboard) (a.k.a. Lombard)
	6300/160
	6360
	8600/200
	8600/250 and 8600/300
	Starmax 5000/300 (with Twin Turbo)
	PowerCurve
	Umax J700
	APS M*Power
	Any non-US Apple machine (such as the 8200)
	Any Apple "Server" model (such as the 8515)
	Any Daystar model

For OF 1.0.5 and 2.0.x models, many do not have a "screen" devalias.  So
far, most of these machines have a known output device to use, but not all.
Could someone who owns the following models let me know what the correct
output device is to use the screen?
	4400
	6300/160
	6360
	8600/250 and 8600/300
	Starmax 5000/300 (with Twin Turbo)
	PowerCenter
	PowerCurve
	PowerTower Pro
	Umax J700
	APS M*Power
	Any non-US Apple machine (such as the 8200)
	Any Apple "Server" model (such as the 8515)
	Any Daystar model

Also, let me know of *any* model that cannot boot when it is using the
screen for output.  So far, only the 54xx, 6400, 9500, Apple Network
Servers, and PowerTower are listed as potentially having this problem.

I'd also like to know which models are "fixed" by running System Disk (e.g.
so that IDE drives are bootable)

If anyone has a Twentieth Anniversary Mac, could you confirm that the
screen doesn't sync.  Also, can you use a MacOS utility to set the console
of your TAM to be the serial port and does that let you boot NetBSD?

Anyone with a 9500, Umax C500, C600, Apus 2000, or 3000, can I get some
more confirmations about the CD-ROM having to be unplugged?  Also, what is
the model of the CD-ROM that shipped with your machine?  I only got three

Also, let me know if you had to modify the default hardware configuration
of your machine to get NetBSD to boot (such as removing a SCSI card or
CD-ROM).

<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html>

Thanks,
  -- MW