Subject: Re: g3 series powerbook booting
To: charlie allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2000 00:26:18
At 7:25 AM +1000 10/3/00, charlie allom wrote:

:)f) unrelated, but ever since i set a load-base on a pismo (OFv3) and
:)stuffed it up, and lots of ppl told me that it was ok (and it
:)wasnt.). now the FAQ says 'do not set a load-base on OFv3 machines
:)whatsoever'. no explanation. does anyone know -why- this screws these
:)newer machines up so much?

No idea why, and no explanation because no one's given me a good one.
Basically, AFAIK, setting LOAD-BASE on a pismo causes it to die such that
its firmware has to be reflashed by Apple (according to three reports I've
gotten).  As to why it's not necessary, my understanding was that OFW 3
reads the ELF bootloader or kernel and determines where to load it based
upon that information.  For some reason OF 1 and 2 do not read that
information from the XCOFF file, even though it's present.

  -- MW