Subject: g3 series powerbook booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: charlie allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2000 07:25:48
ok, six questions, hidden amongst the garbage,

i have determined at what point (actually two) the 1.5ALPHA2 kernel
wrongly reboots on my wall street.
a) who do i send this dmesg to?

ok once the `boot fd2:0' works and installs 1.5ALPHA2 from FTP (quite
a hassle with no extra monitor and no serial console and a screen
that is half broken), i am back in OF again.

i am trying to figure out what to type here. the internal hdd on ATA
0, so im thinking:

boot ide0:0
or
boot /pci/@10/ata0/disk@0,0:0 (though i get a `can't OPEN:' on this
one. which means in my experience it aint there)

there are other ide alias'. ide0, ide1, ide4 and their corresponding
full paths. this is a lot of work to go thru all of these -
especially seeing as..

.. NetBSD has installed / on wd0c and /usr on wd0g. does this mean i
am not using the 'full disk mode' and therefore cannot boot as easily
as saying `boot ide#:0', and so..
b) should i be using `boot ide0:0,ofwboot.xcf'? (which the installer
doesn't install)

two more questions:
c) what is /boot ?
d) what is this bootxx method of booting? do the 'xx's stand for
something or am i missing something out of the
netbsd/ofwboot.elf/ofwboot.xcf picture?
e) would it be easier to wait until the mac68k Booter application can
handle IDE?
f) unrelated, but ever since i set a load-base on a pismo (OFv3) and
stuffed it up, and lots of ppl told me that it was ok (and it
wasnt.). now the FAQ says 'do not set a load-base on OFv3 machines
whatsoever'. no explanation. does anyone know -why- this screws these
newer machines up so much?

i am so close to finding my linuxppc release4 cdrom ;b

thanks for reading my shit, again.

c.
--
charlie@rubberduck.com