Subject: Re: Make now working
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2000 16:22:18
>I've got a question for all the Mac hardware gurus
>here.  What are my options as far as putting in a
>larger hard drive?  I've heard that some mac models
>will only work with specific apple sanctioned drives.
>Is this true and if so was the Classic II such a
>system?  Also if I were to buy a current SCSI drive
>with the 80 pin high density connector and use a 50
>pin adapter on it, is it likely to work in this
>system?

You have a lot of options for replacement hard drives.  I've never
heard of any Mac model needing specific Apple sanctioned drives, and
I've been managing Macs since before they supported SCSI drives.  The
only thing that required Apple sanctioned drives was Apple's
formatting software, and lately they've even dropped that
restriction.

I'm not sure if you can use a drive with an 80 pin connector and use
an adaptor.  I think the drives with the 80 pin connectors are wide
devices, that is they have twice the data lines that allows faster
data throughput.  If the drive can sense that it is connected to a
narrow cable, maybe it will work correctly.  I suggest trying to find
a 50 pin hard drive.

One other consideration is physical size.  It's been a long time
since I've seen the inside of a Classic II, but I remember that it
was somewhat cramped.  There may only be room for a third height
drive in that space.

Having said that, I must caution you that some drives won't work with
NetBSD even though they work fine under Mac OS.  I've run across a
few that just refuse to work with NetBSD, such as a Micropolis 4110
that refuses to work under NetBSD on both the macppc and the mac68k
ports.  I'd suggest buying a drive that offers a money back return
policy, just in case.

--

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800
NetBSD 1.4.2 on a Power Mac 8500

Trying NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 on a PowerBook 3400