Subject: Built-in Ethernet on PowerBook 3400
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2000 15:15:09
Hi,

Two weeks ago I posted a message asking for help in getting a
Meghertz Ethernet/Modem card to work in a PowerBook 2400.  Well,
after trying a number of things (thanks Martin), it was getting
beyond my ability to proceed, requiring programing skills I don't
have.  So I gave up.  I'll do a send-pr about the problem, and maybe
somebody else will be able to fix it.

So to get a working NetBSD machine, I've traded the PowerBook 2400
for a PowerBook 3400 (actually, they are both mine to use, I just
swapped what I'm using them for).  The 3400 has built in Ethernet,
where the 2400 doesn't, so I thought it would work.  I was wrong.
The boot messages say it is recognized, but networking simply doesn't
work.

I'm running NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 compiled from sources as of two weeks
ago, since the PowerBook isn't fully supported in 1.4.2.  I compiled
my own kernel, with these changes to the base configuration: I turned
off IPv6, since I don't have IPv6 support on my network, I added
device support for the Megahertz card, since I have an extra one and
can test fixes if anyone works on a fix, and turned off all the USB
stuff to reduce size since I don't have a USB, and hardwired root to
wd1a since it couldn't find the root volume on its own.

The boot messages referring to the Ethernet port  are:

	de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
	de0: interrupting at irq 27
	de0: Asante 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 2.1
	de0: address 00:00:94:78:67:f3

and ifconfig de0 gives:

de0:
flags=8c63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
mtu 1500
	media: Ethernet autoselect
	inet 205.243.213.97 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 205.243.213.255

But it doesn't work.  I configured the network exactly like I set up
a Power Mac 8500 running NetBSD 1.4.2 running on the same Ethernet
network (except of course I gave the PowerBook its own address).

Does NetBSD 1.5's networking setup change in a significant way with
IPv6 off, therefore I've set it up wrong?  Is the internal Ethernet
port on the 3400 not supported?  Should I give up on using the
PowerBooks and use something else?

At least one thing just works.  I have a VST 1.6 Gig media bay drive
that works great in the 3400.

--

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800
NetBSD 1.4.2 on a Power Mac 8500

Trying NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 on a PowerBook 3400