Subject: Re: OF question for install on G4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory Smith <wolfy@cmu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2000 16:09:19
	I have one of the newer single processor AGP machines myself, and was
unable to get NetBSD booted on it. I tried just about everything, short of
netbooting the kernel.
	That having been said, a few suggestions:
	+ you should try a new snapshot; 1.4.2 definitely won't work with AGP
machines. 1.5_ALPHA might
	+ OF on the new machines (I'm dubious that your OF version is 1.2.2f1; I
think that's the apple firmware revision) should be able to boot an elf
kernel directly, no need for ofwboot. Of course, my OF won't (CLAIM
FAILED). But it should :-)
	+ ofwboot.elf doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's supposed to look
on an HFS drive for netbsd, but it doesn't. The only way I've been able to
get it to see a kernel to boot from is if the kernel is on an FFS partition
or in an install image(!!). Then it would boot past the first two or three
magic numbers, and stop
	+ To get that far, I suntarred an install image onto a zip disk, put
ofwboot.elf on my hard drive, and typed boot:ultra0,ofwboot.elf (I think)
and then Boot: zip,netbsd (I think)
	+ if you do manage to boot the install kernel, please let me know what you
did :-) Also, I'm not sure how well the installer / netbsd read the Apple
partition map, so you may have trouble getting it to coexist with MacOS on
the same hard drive.

Gregory

--On Monday, September 25, 2000, 2:24 PM -0500 Rene Salmon