Subject: Megahertz XJEM3336 Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA Card on a PowerBook 2400
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2000 14:40:23
I'm trying to get NetBSD running on a PowerBook 2400c/180.  To be
useful I need to get it on my Ethernet network.  I have a Megahertz
XJEM3336 Ethernet/Modem card, which is my only option on this machine
for Ethernet.  According to information found on the NetBSD Web site
this card is supported under the 1.5 branch of NetBSD.  So I decided
to try 1.5 Alpha2 on this machine.

Of course the GENERIC kernel I found in the binary distribution
didn't have the Megahertz support, so I had to compile a kernel.
After jumping through the proper hoops* the kernel seems to recognize
the Megahertz card, mentioning it by name in the boot messages.  Yet
it has an error.  The boot messages say:

     mhzc0 at pcmcia function 0: Megahertz X-JACK Ethernet Modem
     mhzc0: unable to allocate space for Ethernet portion

So I thought, maybe the rest of the system is out of date now that
I've compiled a new kernel.  Something important may have changed in
the source tree between when the snapshot was compiled and I got the
source for the kernel. So I did a "make build" in /usr/src.  I think
this rebuilds and installs everything, but this is the first time
I've tried compiling the operating system.  20 hours later I still
have the same problem.

I think it's not working because the devices associated with this
card aren't in /dev.  Shouldn't there be pcmcia, mhzc, and sm devices
listed in /dev?  They aren't there and I've rebuilt /dev following
the instructions at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#rebuilding-dev>.  Even
after the rebuild of /dev these don't show up.

So my real questions are: Should these devices be in /dev?  How do I
get them there?

* The hoops were: download the source, write it to a CD, add an
external drive to the PowerBook, unpack the source to the new drive,
compile config, configure a kernel, compile the kernel, and install
the kernel.

--

Eric Damien Berna
Thiel Design