Subject: Re: Choosing a Unix
To: Jaron Omega <inphrared@ephemeron.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2000 13:03:31
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jaron Omega wrote:

> None of the Free unix/unix-like OS's for the Mac can display graphics
> very well, or better X11 performance is not too impressive.  This being
> said in reference to my own experiance with dealing with X on a Performa
> 6360 with 32M RAM and on a 233Mhz Beige G3 with 320M RAM.  Neither was
> really able to run X well, not even across a network.  Linux/NetBSD
> was the free unix(like) OS's I have run on them.

The 6360 is very different from the original poster's G3, though.  The
beige G3 has an ATI chipset, for which video acceleration support has been
available for both MkLinux and LinuxPPC for at least a year, probably two.
The 6360 has... I think Valkyrie, for which the information needed to do
acceleration is, IIRC, either unavailable or incomprehensible (or both
;-).

> MacOS X<whatever they put out> is my best suggestion.

Agreed, that will be far better than anything currently available.

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.