Subject: Re: Choosing a Unix
To: Michael Jeffrey Tucker <mtucker@fas.harvard.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2000 09:20:06
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Michael Jeffrey Tucker wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I was wondering if someone could offer some advice or point me at a FAQ
> about picking a UNIX distribution for a beige G3. I am currently running
> NetBSD on an 68k machine, and mklinux on a 7200. Now I am looking at
> setting up a machine that I will be using heavily under X. I'd say that
> rules out NetBSD because the graphics support seems minimal. I
> want something secure, I want something decently fast, and I want
> something that will work well with X applications am I out of luck? ;)

My advice would be that if you're familiar with MkLinux, just keep on
using that with whcih you're familiar.  :-)  That having been said, any of
the Linux distros should work fine on beiges.  Or you could play with
Darwin, not sure about the X status there.

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.