Subject: Re: Soundblaster and macppc
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 15:16:05
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

Oh, there should have been a midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART too. Did
you have a midi* at eap? line in the kernel config?

> > And these are my dev audio files:
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  42, 128 Aug 22 13:47 /dev/audio
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  42, 192 Aug 22 13:47 /dev/audioctl
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  42, 16 Aug 22 13:47 /dev/mixer
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  42, 0 Aug 22 13:47 /dev/sound
> >
> > If I run audioctl, or any audio related tool, I get
> > audioctl: /dev/audioctl: Device not configured
>
> On macppc, the audio driver is at major 48, not 42...

Audio is 42 on atari, bebox, i386, mmeye, and prep. Did you use the wrong
script?

> > One more question: is there a tool to get the major number of a driver?
>
> Not that I know of... but hopefully, the MAKEDEV script has the correct
> info in it. (cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV audio) should do the right thing... The
> macppc MAKEDEV says:

Right. There is no tool, but MAKEDEV should do the right thing.

> audio*)
>         unit=${i#audio}
>         audio=audio$unit
>         sound=sound$unit
>         mixer=mixer$unit
>         major=48
> [ ... ]
>
> You could also look at the devsw table in sys/arch/macppc/macppc/conf.c:
>         cdev_audio_init(NAUDIO,audio),        /* 48: generic audio I/O */

Looks like you're almost there! You have the same rev card I do.

Oh, playing seems to work great. I haven't tried recording though.

Take care,

Bill