Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa <hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu>
From: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 10:31:12
On 8/29/2000 at 1:22 AM, hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu (Rafael Alejandro
Hinojosa) wrote:

> Try to setup networking from a shell before you launch sysinst, if you
> haven't been doing so already.  In general whenever I've installed on
> a PowerMac I've always set the networking stuff in the shell before
> launching sysinst.  It seems to work pretty well for SCSI PowerMacs,
> for IDE PowerMacs, for some reason, when I boot off of the install
> floppy I have a temporary ethernet device (tlp0).  I can set the
> networking from there for that device but after the install, the
> installer doesn't transfer the current settings.  It doesn't do it for
> SCSI macs, probably because the device is on the board and not on a
> comm card...

I've tried that before.  Under the 1.5 alpha, I can successfully
configure networking and even FTP stuff over to the box.  However,
"ping" fails on the command line (yes FTP still works, go figure).
Launching into the installer for a network install validates my ethernet
configuration and then performs a "ping" prerequisite check.  It fails
and then prevents the install process from going further.

> I'm not sure if the OF address for video is the same on the 5400 as it
> is for the 6500.  I know the alias 'screen' on the 6500 is broken so I
> have to type in the proper address in BootVars to get the screen to
> work.  See if you can find the addres for the video on the 5400 and
> enter that in output-device in BootVars or in OF through the serial
> connection (ok > setenv output-device 'address').

Hmmm...

I've researched this bit enough to enter "devalias" and then finding the
screen address in the directory, something like:

  setenv output-device /valkyrie/000000F0

Or something similar.  That's probably not correct since I'm just typing
it from memory.  In any case, it didn't seem to be the right setting.
Either I got a live screen with no output or I continued to set "CLAIM
FAILED" displayed.

I'll give it another shot later today and play around with setting the
display device correctly.

On another note, how about the information Rafael sent out earlier on
the 6400 screen setting be put into:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#6400

  input-device:    "kbd"
  output-device:   "/bandit/ATY,264GT-B" (screen alias is broken...)

Ben
allums@earthlink.net