Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 09:35:59
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 03:52:58PM -0500, Ben Allums wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > BTW: You'll want to download a copy of "bootvars" to dink with
> >      OpenFirmware settings.  System Disk won't work on 5400's.
> >      Use "suntar 2.2.2" or later to create the install floppy.

	Hmm there was some debate about this a while back. IMHO, I think
System Disk does *work*, it's complaining about "not supporting the
machine" or some such because it will not be supported for MacOS X. The
application itself should still be able to apply the OFW patches and let
you manipulate settings.

> Ha yes, another fun thing with this machine, its floppy drive looks dead.
> I guess I would just burn a CD - or maybe it can netboot ?

	You might or might not be able to netboot this machine. I have not
as yet been able to netboot my Beige OFW 2.0f1 G3 because of massive tftp
timeouts being reported by the G3. (after 40 minutes it finally loaded the
50k ofwboot.xcf, but then the machine froze after loading bss... Wouldn't
hurt to try it though.

	Chris