Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
From: Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa <hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 01:22:03

> Actually, I own a 5400/120.  It may truly be the slowest 5400 out there.
>
> As for NetBSD support...  (no go for me)
>
> I worked long and hard to get the thing installed.  My CD-ROM seems to
> hiccup and the setup application fails during ping.  (FTP works, ping
> fails, and since ping is a prerequisite for a network install...).

Try to setup networking from a shell before you launch sysinst, if you
haven't been doing so already.  In general whenever I've installed on a
PowerMac I've always set the networking stuff in the shell before
launching sysinst.  It seems to work pretty well for SCSI PowerMacs, for
IDE PowerMacs, for some reason, when I boot off of the install floppy I
have a temporary ethernet device (tlp0).  I can set the networking from
there for that device but after the install, the installer doesn't
transfer the current settings.  It doesn't do it for SCSI macs, probably
because the device is on the board and not on a comm card...

> End result is that I've never been able to get NetBSD installed on the
> box.  Might try the latest 1.5 version.  Worst part is that the video
> doesn't work for me, "CLAIM FAILED" error, so I'm stuck will a serial
> only connection.

I'm not sure if the OF address for video is the same on the 5400 as it is
for the 6500.  I know the alias 'screen' on the 6500 is broken so I have
to type in the proper address in BootVars to get the screen to work.  See
if you can find the addres for the video on the 5400 and enter that in
output-device in BootVars or in OF through the serial connection (ok >
setenv output-device 'address').

> I wish you all the luck in the world getting the thing installed and
> when you figure out how to do it, e-mail me please!
>
> BTW: You'll want to download a copy of "bootvars" to dink with
>      OpenFirmware settings.  System Disk won't work on 5400's.
>      Use "suntar 2.2.2" or later to create the install floppy.

I don't think System Disk works on machines with OF Version 2.0, but I
could be wrong.  I'm not even sure it works on machines with IDE drives
but I haven't come across a G3 to install NetBSD on yet... :-)

> Good luck!
>

> Ben
> allums@earthlink.net

Yes, good luck all....