Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/28/2000 15:52:58
On 8/28/2000 at 1:15 PM, t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu (Chris Tribo) wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > Hi, I may be able to get a  performa 5400/160, is it supported yet ?
> > http://www2.fr.NetBSD.org/Ports/macppc/models.html seems to imply it
> > is, but I've not been able to enter the openfirmware with
> > ctrl-apple-O-F. Is there something else for this on older powermacs?
>
> I don't mean to sound idiotic, but you're sure this is a 5400/160 and
> not a 52xx/160? The slowest 5400 I've seen was 200MHz, but it could
> (probably) be coincidence. That not being the case, you will probably
> have to use bootvars or System Disk (System Disk recomended, even
> though it complains, it still works) to set your input and output
> device to keyboard and screen respectivly, as OF is probably set to
> default to the Serial Console (hence it might not listen to
> Cmd-Opt-O-F). There is also a footnote on the model support page about
> this system.

Actually, I own a 5400/120.  It may truly be the slowest 5400 out there.

As for NetBSD support...  (no go for me)

I worked long and hard to get the thing installed.  My CD-ROM seems to
hiccup and the setup application fails during ping.  (FTP works, ping
fails, and since ping is a prerequisite for a network install...).

End result is that I've never been able to get NetBSD installed on the
box.  Might try the latest 1.5 version.  Worst part is that the video
doesn't work for me, "CLAIM FAILED" error, so I'm stuck will a serial
only connection.

I wish you all the luck in the world getting the thing installed and
when you figure out how to do it, e-mail me please!

BTW: You'll want to download a copy of "bootvars" to dink with
     OpenFirmware settings.  System Disk won't work on 5400's.
     Use "suntar 2.2.2" or later to create the install floppy.

Good luck!

Ben
allums@earthlink.net