Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa <hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/28/2000 16:44:13
Here is my experience with 6500, same OF different boards; could prove
useful.

Like the model support pages states,

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#6400

Apparently System Disk does not support these machine. You'll have to use
Boot Variables

Boot Variables is a pretty straight forward program.  You should have it
stop boot at Open Firmware in order to interact with OF.  For the 6500/225
I work with you can go ahead and set input-device to kbd and output-device
to the screen's address.  You can't use the alias screen cuz its broken so
you have to use the address.

See -- http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/222.html

This, of course is for the 6500 its probably different for the 5400 cuz of
its Logic Board; again I'm not sure...

Either way, setting these variables in BootVars allows me to boot into OF
on some of the IDE PowerMacs.  Once I'm in OF I then use the boot disk can
proceed as usual.

Hope this helps.

Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa		rhinojo1@swarthmore.edu
Swarthmore College			hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu