Subject: Re: Sheesh. More LKMs. And some firewall stupidity.
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@uni-trier.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@cs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/21/2000 13:45:57
On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 03:11:08PM +0200, Klaus Klein wrote:
> Swapping to a regular file is _not_ related to the vnd(4) driver.
> (And vnd(4) is not the vnode pager.)

Maybe I missed something, but could you explain how using the vnode
pager does relate to what I'm trying to do?

I'm very specifically *not* swapping to a regular file, or to anything
resident on the host in question. I'm passing the page (well, a
cluster of pages, most likely) to another machine on the network,
which is to store them in its available live memory. At no point is
any file system of any kind involved.

Since the vnode pager (at least, assuming the comments in
uvm/uvm_vnode.{h,c} do not lie) swaps to vnodes, which are handled by
the vnd device driver, which must reside on the local file system,
it sure seems to me that vnd(4) *is* involved and that they are not
useful for what I am trying to do.

I'd be thrilled if someone criticizing my approach would like to do so
constructively.

       ~ g r @cs.swarthmore.edu