Subject: Re: Changes for installboot
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2000 21:18:10
Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Hmmm... I think the best thing to do is tweak mkhybrid a little. If we
>could get it to add an empty partition (or a certain amount of Apple PM
>free space), then the installboot I'm bashing on should do it.

Well I suspect it'll be more than just a little tweaking but I could be
wrong.

>I'm a little hesetant to have installboot be able to add stuff onto the
>end of a "disk," which is what we'd need if I understand you. :-(

No problem.  It seems like a screwy idea at first, but then I had the
advantage of trying to figure out the Sparc/Alpha CD boot code.  Once I
understood the Sparc method of building bootable CDs this seemed like a
logical extension to make to mkhybrid for the macppc CDs. And since my G3
wouldn't boot NetBSD from CD for some reason, I had an incentive to dig
around for some other solution.

-bob