Subject: Re: Changes for installboot
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2000 19:09:34
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:

> It should, but from my study of the code in mkhybrid I didn't think it
> would.  It appeared to me that the utility that sucked the boot code from
> a working disk also pulled in some other things like the Partition Map
> and the two blocks of MacOS boot code at the head of the HFS partition.
> I fiddled around a bit with it and finally decided it would be much
> simpler to have mkhybrid build the Partition Map (-part) but not add any
> boot code. Follow that up with a modified version of mksunbootcd, which I
> called mkmacbootcd, that fixed up the APM and added an entry for the boot
> partition at the end of the ISO image file.  Mkhybrid reserves 10  or 15
> blocks for the APM - I forget now and I can't find the dump I created.
> Anyway there's more than enough room to do something similar to what
> you're doing with installboot right now.  In fact if this is a proper
> approach the two efforts could be combined into a single installboot
> utility.

Hmmm... I think the best thing to do is tweak mkhybrid a little. If we
could get it to add an empty partition (or a certain amount of Apple PM
free space), then the installboot I'm bashing on should do it.

I'm a little hesetant to have installboot be able to add stuff onto the
end of a "disk," which is what we'd need if I understand you. :-(

Take care,

Bill