Subject: Re: Changes for installboot
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2000 21:01:00
Bill Studenmund wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> Right now the boot option in mkhybrid relies on a fixed format that
>> appears to be designed to only handle MacOS boot requirements.  There's a
>> small utility that one uses to pull the boot code from a working disk in
>> a format that is acceptable to mkhybrid, and that format doesn't match
>> what we probably want to do for NetBSD.  That's why I was working on
>> "mkmacbootcd".
>
>Oh, what I had in mind was use that utility, and have mkhybrid install
>that "driver." Then we come along later and fix up that partition with a
>run of installboot. This version _should_ use the existing (put there by
>mkhybrid) version.
>
>Would that not work?

It should, but from my study of the code in mkhybrid I didn't think it
would.  It appeared to me that the utility that sucked the boot code from
a working disk also pulled in some other things like the Partition Map
and the two blocks of MacOS boot code at the head of the HFS partition.
I fiddled around a bit with it and finally decided it would be much
simpler to have mkhybrid build the Partition Map (-part) but not add any
boot code. Follow that up with a modified version of mksunbootcd, which I
called mkmacbootcd, that fixed up the APM and added an entry for the boot
partition at the end of the ISO image file.  Mkhybrid reserves 10  or 15
blocks for the APM - I forget now and I can't find the dump I created.
Anyway there's more than enough room to do something similar to what
you're doing with installboot right now.  In fact if this is a proper
approach the two efforts could be combined into a single installboot
utility.

-bob