Subject: Re: Installing on a G3
To: mike henry <ienimi@hotmail.com>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/14/2000 23:20:43
on 8/14/00 5:15 PM, mike henry at ienimi@hotmail.com wrote something like:

> so far i have read that i must create an ISO cd with ofwboot.xcf in the root
> and then must reboot into OF and type the command <boot cd:ofwboot.xcf>, no
> luck!  It just boots right into MacOS.

    Something is either screwed up in your OFW or you aren't using the right
command. (I'm assuming you aren't typing the command with the <>'s on it) I
don't think there is a cd devalias on this machine. Provided you have run
the Apple System Disk Utility (tutorial on www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc) to
set everything up beforehand (this fixes IDE & SCSI booting) the command
should be:

boot ide1:ofwboot.xcf

    Does anyone know if this version supports ELF booting? If it does you
can boot the NetBSD kernel directly (if it's un-gziped that is, otherwise
you need ofwboot.elf or .xcf first) BTW, trying to boot from cd or some
other non-alias name will result in you being dumped into MacOS.

> I tried making a floppy and booting from that, but unfortunately I read that
> u cannot boot from a floppy in OF 2.4 (the version that i believe comes with
> a G3 333).

    Yes it is OFW 2.4, and no floppy booting is broken (stupid Apple)

    Chris