Subject: Re: [Fwd: Support for Mac 6100/66 PPC?]
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/14/2000 16:34:30
> > 1.) as you mentioned, the 601 CPU support has not been added. I don't
recall

> I'm assuming the big problem here are the BATs.  That and the clock stuff
> if you're using it.  Can't think of anything else really major different
> between the 601 and the rest of the 6xx family, but I'm probably missing
> something.  Unless I'm missing something pretty big, though, it doesn't
> seem like that much work.  So... what am I missing?  ;-)

    That's the impression I was under. While I don't even know what a BAT
is, does
one need know PPC assembly to add 601 support (to NetBSD)?

> > 2.) As the reply mentioned, it has no OpenFirmware to boot a kernel with
at
> > the ROM level. This means we have to boot MacOS and then use a program
Like
> > (a modified version of) BootX to load a *BSD kernel into RAM and execute
it.
> > (This could also be done, just hasn't yet) [or taken from
MkLinux/LinuxPPC]

> This is the tough one.  The first one can be hacked around if you get
> things booting with a hacked BootX, as there are 604 and G3 upgrade cards
> for the x100 family.

    If Linux can do it, why can't we? :P  I don't know much about the PDS
architecture,
but I would think you would need NuBus and/or PDS support before any of
those
upgrades work. However, it would be rather interesting if we could get
NetBSD i386 to
boot on the DOS card that comes with the 6100/60 PC models :)

<NuBus>
> This one really isn't important.  I got most of the critical stuff on the
> x100's working and semi-documented, but MkLinux still doesn't have working
> NuBus support.  It's just not required for using the system.  You have to
> have the interrupt handling stuff in place, but that's about it.  And I
> think you're right, the Quadra AV machines probably did use a BART or
> something close.  They were a lot like the x100s in many ways.

    Are you refering to getting the machine to a state where a serial
console will work
or including using the video hardware (How does one do this on our current
setup as we
have no console video drivers) We don't need NuBus to attach the built in
video hardware to?
I'm not entirely sure how all that works.

    Chris