Subject: Re: Possibly moving the start of the disklabel in NetBSD-only
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/13/2000 01:30:29
At 1:01 Uhr +0200 12.8.2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

[BSD disklabel colliding with MD info]

>So I see two solutions. One is to move the disklabel up 4 bytes, to start
>at byte 68. This might cause compatability problems.
>
>Another is to say that we are OS 0x8256, which is the first two bytes of
>the NetBSD disklabel magic number. :-)
>
>Thoughts?

Go with [1]. If you look at the disklabel(8) code, you will find that it
scans for the two magic numbers of struct disklabel in four-byte steps.
ISTR that this was done for native OS compatibility of the Sun ports; other
ports may have similar requirements.

mac68k does it the same way since a few weeks, allowing you to access sparc
disks just fine.  ;)

	hauke