Subject: Re: Possibly moving the start of the disklabel in NetBSD-only disks
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/11/2000 18:42:10
Bill Studenmund wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> If you're talking about the same field I think you are there are some
>> additional values that Apple is also using.  0x701, 0xffff, and 0xf8ff.
>> The original value of 0x0001 meant to try to load/boot from a non-chained
>> SCSI driver; the complement (0xffff) is reserved for the chained variant
>> of the driver.  The 0x701 is the non-chained driver for the IDE, and the
>> 0xf8ff is the chained variant of the IDE driver.  This is documented,
>> although not very well, in some of the new Tech Notes.
>
>For clarity, I'm talking about the ddType field in the Block0
>structure. It's on page 3-23 of my copy of Inside Mac: devices, and on
>page 557 of IM:V. Interestingly enough, they both say that you can use the
>Start Manager's SetOSDefault value to choose which one gets loaded...
>
>The real question is if OF cares about these values. :-) For macppc, I
>don't think we'll ever need to use the Start Manager to get booted.

Yes, this is the field I'm thinking about.  Recent dumps of Block0 on
Apple created CDROMs and disks formatted for use with MacOS show that
there are now mulptile entries in there for all four of the values I
listed.  I went digging to find out what they were and dug up the info.
Are you sure we won't ever use the Start Manager?  How about for booting
systems without OF?

-bob