Subject: Re: Performa 4400 with broken floppy
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/11/2000 21:41:07
inphrared> Doesn't the Performa 4400 have NuBus instead of PCI?

4400 should have Open Firmware 2.0.2 and should work if floppy boots.

From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
martin> If I dd (on another machine) the boot.fs from the snapshot onto another IDE
martin> drive and replace that disks (or add it as a second disk), do I have a chance
martin> to boot from this?

I think so.
I have StarMax 4000/160, very much similar to 4400

(1) connect extra IDE disk in place of CDROM.
(2) dd boot.fs to that disk
root@ci  21:28:26/000811(...20000620-1.5/installation)# dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/wd1c bs=64k
2880+0 records in
22+1 records out
1474560 bytes transferred in 2 secs (737280 bytes/sec)

(3) I had no idea how to boot wd1 ( 2nd IDE disk),
  so I have unplug the first IDE drive, and connect boot.fs IDE
 disk where the first one is connected.

(4) type
 > boot ata/ata-disk@0:0

(5) Then I got sysinst started.

(6) If you have target IDE on the second connector, sysinst should
reconize it as wd1, so you should be able to install on it.

(7)Although, you may need to change /etc/fstab after everything is
done, say,
  after everything installed, boot from the boot.fs again, mount
manually on /mnt and change string wd1 to wd0. I believe.

(8) If you know how to boot from 2nd IDE disk, you don't have to worry
about the step 7.
---
Makoto Fujiwara