Subject: Re: ssh
To: Jaron Omega <inphrared@ephemeron.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/01/2000 11:54:40
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 11:58:30PM -0700, Jaron Omega wrote:
> pkgsrc?  That didn't get that installed on my machine, I notice
> I have a couple of things missing like 'ldconfig'
>
> NetBSD1.4.2 right?
>
> As far as something being wrong with it, I doubt it, only I didn't
> have it as a choice at the time.
>
> Thanks for the update, I'll go to the ftp site, and try to find out
> why I didn't get everything I should have.

pkgsrc isn't part of the standard distribution, but it's the source
for all the packages we (NetBSD, that is) support.

On many architectures, there are precompiled binaries that are
installed when you do a pkg_add, but they can be less than up to date.

Go grab ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc.tar.gz, mv it to
/usr, and tar xzf it. You'll then have the pkgsrc tree (no actual
source, but a lot of make files). To install something out of it, just
find the software in that tree you want, su, (umask 022 would be a
good idea), and make install.

Installing cvs (pkgsrc/devel/cvs) would be a good idea, since it's
possible to keep your pkgsrc tree updated with it (rather than
downloading the whole tarball again and again). (I use ssh for this,
setting $CVSROOT to anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot and $CVS_RSH
to `which ssh`, then doing cvs -d $CVSROOT update -P in the directory
I want to update; doesn't necessarily have to be all of pkgsrc.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net