Subject: Re: Apple sound chip? (was: Re: Recent audio changes)
To: , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/01/2000 11:01:53
On Sat, Jul 29, 2000, Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr> wrote:

>What is the status of the Apple sound chip? As I understand, the only
>support there is for it is just beeping.
>
>How difficult would it be to get it fully supported? Where could I find
>some documentation about that chip? I assume that Darwin driver might
>help, but there are 3 audio drivers in Darwin: drvPPCAwacs,
>drvPPCBurgundy, and drvPPCDACA. Is there 3 different audio chips?

Awacs is the one used on most machines. The latest revisions of it are
also called "screamer" and contain more registers and some power
management features.

Burgundy is used on iMacs, B&W G3s and maybe other machines

DACA is the I2S/I2C based chip used in the iBook

All 3 use a common mecanism for sending/receiving audio datas (thru DBDMA
channels) so the code for that can be common. The differences reside in
the various "control" registers.

Ben.