Subject: Booting, next round ;-)
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2000 22:13:29
Hmm, nearly don't dare to bring this topic up again: I can't boot NetBSD on
my mac 4400/200. It has OF 2.0.2 and internal IDE disk and atapi CD.

I would prefer to boot this machine over the network (I have other NetBSD
machines which could serve it), best case would be pressing "N" when turning
it on to netboot NetBSD and doing nothing to drop into MacOS.

But I would take any method that gets NetBSD up at all.

What I tried was: put the boot.fs from the latest snapshot onto a disk and
boot that via

  boot fd:0

This resulted in the "CLAIM failed" error described in the FAQ; trying it
again did not help. Then I created a DOS floppy with ofwboot.xcf, ofwboot.elf
and netbsd.gz on it. And tried

  boot fd:1,ofwboot.xcf

This successfully loaded ofwboot, which tried to read "netbsd" and failed
(obviously, it wouldn't fit on the disk). So at the "Boot:" prompt I entered

  Boot: netbsd.gz

but that didn't work too:

/netbsd.gz: File not found
/fd/netbsd.gz: File not found.

I tried any combination of path names I could dream of and none worked.

So I tried booting from internal hard disk by putting ofwboot.xcf and
netbsd on the root of my hard disk. Tried to boot that via

  boot hd:ofwboot.xcf

which resulted in the machine booting to MacOS.

Next try: boot from CD.

I downloaded the iso image from the ftp site and tried

  boot cd:ofwboot.xcf

Same result as with harddisk.

I created my own CD, same result. I tried other names for the CD, like:

  boot ata/atapi-disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf

which was answered with:

  bad partition number, using 0 no bootable HFS partition

Last try was network:

  boot enet

didn't do anything (the DHCP server did not see any query).

In the meantime I learned how to use OF as a calculator - but I'd rather
run NetBSD on this machine ;-)

Any hints?

Martin