Subject: Re: Boot install on baige G3
To: Rene Salmon <rsalmon@tulane.edu>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/30/2000 21:19:39
on 6/30/00 10:28 AM, Rene Salmon at rsalmon@tulane.edu wrote something like:

> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new to NetBSD I looked on the list archives and found some usefull
> information about installing NetBSD on a G3 baige mac but none of that seems
> to work for me so I am hoping some one here can help.

Welcome

> I used dd to put the floppy image boot.fs on to the diskette and then typed
> boot fd:0
> This returned with error message
> Claim failed

Copied from model support page (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc):

Apple PowerMacintosh G3 (Beige G3, Revision 2, OF 2.4)
OF cannot boot from floppy drive
OF cannot boot from SCSI or IDE hard drives without first running System
Disk
Zip drives may cause booting problems

> Next I tried gunzip netbsd-GENERIC_MD and placing it on my MACOS Harddrive
> ok> boot hd hd:5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD

    Is hd the proper name from devalias? I would think it was ide0. Did you
run System Disk and set things correctly?

    IIRC correctly, this machines OF cannot boot ELF format kernels
directly. You must first download and boot ofwboot.xcf (with load size set
to 600000 right?) then at the next prompt try boot ide0:5, netbsd-GENERIC_MD

    Chris