Subject: Re: 5300c/240 or orig g3 pb router
To: None <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/30/2000 00:25:31
On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, charlie allom wrote:

> hey guys, ive been lurking on the 68k list for a while now with my SE/30,
> getting ready to route my cable.
>
> at the end of the day i opted for my g3 desktop(macos) with 2 nics to
> route my cable because of the firewall options i can have with 2 nics.
>
> at work theer might be an orig. g3 powerbook (same for factor as the 5300)
> and also a 5300/240..
>
> i see that either of these will be ok support wise, just want a double
> check, that if i whack say, a cheap xircom nic in there to complement the
> in built nic, will this be a workable router/firewall/leechin' demon? ;>

A PB 5300 is a NuBus mac.  NetBSD doesn't support that model.  MkLinux
supports them, but doesn't support NICs in them (of any kind, via any
interface).  No other OS besides MacOS runs on them.  Don't know about the
G3 PB, but I would assume that NetBSD or LinuxPPC would work for that
purpose on such a beast.  :-)

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.