Subject: G4 Sawtooth Install
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfy <wolfy@cmu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2000 10:07:00
	I tried to install the latest snapshot to my G4/400 AGP last night, to no
avail. I have Apple's firmware update (2.4f1 I think) installed. Things I
tried:

	Copying netbsd.ram to an HFS Zip, boot zip:,netbsd.ram
	Result: Loading ELF... CLAIM FAILED

	Copying ofwboot.elf to HFS Zip, boot zip:,ofwboot.elf
	Can't find /netbsd, so I typed in zip:netbsd.ram
	Can't find that either.

	Copying ofwboot.elf and boot.fs to HFS Zip, boot zip:,ofwboot.elf
	> zip:boot.fs
	It starts to boot (!) but after two magic numbers it breaks onto another
line and says something like start=0x800000...(typing this from memory, so
that's probably not exactly it) and then sits there forever (or 5 minutes
at least, forever on a G4 :-)

	suntarring boot.fs to Zip, boot zip:
	Same as above, stops booting after second magic number

	Copying ofwboot.elf to ultra0 and trying to boot zip filesystem: boot
ultra0:,ofwboot.elf
	> zip:
	Same as above

	Copying the netbsd.md from the previous snapshot to HFS Zip, boot
zip:,netbsd.md
	Load Size=0 load size too small (again, from memory)

	Copying the netbsd.GENERIC from the previous snapshot to Zip, boot
zip:,netbsd-GENERIC
	and it stays there for a good five minutes, after which I restarted it

	So I'm pretty much stuck for the moment; netbooting isn't very feasible
right now, all I have to boot from is the alpha, and it needs to be online.
Any suggestions? Is anyone out there running a sawtooth with Apple's
firmware update? Want to build me a ramdisk kernel? <g>
	Thanks

Gregory