Subject: FW: Blue and White G3 Install
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/24/2000 03:38:09
----------
From: Louis Guillaume <louisg@ultranet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:23:48 -0400
Subject: Blue and White G3 Install

Hi All,

I have read the docs regarding NetBSD/macppc but it appears there is a very
critical piece missing.

The instructions describe copying some files including one called boot.fs,
which I imagine is the 'boot filesystem', which would contain a small kernel
and an installer program.

Without a floppy drive, how does one get the machine to uncompress and mount
that filesystem then run the installer?

I tried copying the items onto a Zip disk, but the machine won't boot from
it. In Open Firmware I tried...

> boot zip:0

... to no avail.

I tried selecting the Zip drive in the Startup Disk control panel (kinda
knew this wouldn't work!)

Even if I had a cdrom with all these items on it, how do you get that
initial kernel and installer to run?

This is the piece missing from the instructions. They tell where to get the
packages and the installation files and then what do do once you are in the
installer (and a bunch of stuff about Net Booting in between, which is
really cool! but not an option for me.)

Any help would be greatly welcome.

Louis