Subject: Re: Booting an OF 1.0.5
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/16/2000 00:06:48
on 6/15/00 9:07 PM, Dan Winship at danw@helixcode.com wrote something like:

>> None of the NetBSD folks know the BootX interface well enough to comment.
>> A concerted effort should start with trying to understand what BootX does
>> now. :-)

    Without having even looked at the code, my guess is that all that need
be changed is the manner in which the device tree and kernel arguments are
passed to the NetBSD kernel as opposed to the Linux kernel. Most of the
grunt work for OF version dependent stuff is likely already taken care of by
the BootX/Linux folk.

> I looked at it once.
>
> The big trick is that if you boot from BootX, you have no interface to
> OF (but it hands you a copy of the OF device tree to look at), so any
> NetBSD code that uses OF after autoconf time needs to be rewritten to
> do direct hardware access instead.
>
> In particular, this means video.

    True, but there's no time like the present to actually write video
support. Or at least start with something for the OF 1.0.5 folk who need
sync options that OF won't provide and/or have chips OF won't talk with. I
wouldn't mind seeing my ATI hardware 2D accelerated at least on the console
:) wscons?

    Chris