Subject: Re: Speaking of booting NetBSD...
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 13:00:56
To be very clear and specific - the Znyx ZX345 10/100 PCI Fast
Ethernet card works under MacOS 9.0 (and 9.0.4) without an additional
driver because MacOS has one built in. However, that does *not* mean
that the ZX345 has OF support. I haven't even looked, but my
experience is that if you want a peripheral with OF support for the
Mac, either it's a peripheral which absolutely requires it (e.g. SCSI
controller, video card), or buy PCI cards meant for Sun UltraSPARC
systems (very, very expensive).

Netbooting with OF Macs is only really supported in the latest models
(the blue & white G3's and later G4's, and the iMac). Anything before
that is unlikely to work without lots of pain, because Apple didn't
think it was important at that time.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>