Subject: Re: Booting an OF 1.0.5
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 11:47:50
At 10:34 AM -0700 6/15/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
> > Second the generic plea for help.  Is it really true that you can't
> > get OF to boot a file from a HFS partition?  I certainly haven't
> > gotten anywhere trying, but I thought that should be possible.
>
>I've gotten it to work before. I thought fd:ofwboot.xcf was the ticket.

Hmmm.  You're talking about a HFS partition on a floppy?  I was
talking about a HFS partition on a hard disk under OF 1.0.5.  I'll
have to try a HFS floppy this way.  Since there *is* some HFS code in
OF 1.0.5 there must be some kind of HFS media that it understands if
it really can't grok HFS hard disks.

The floppy part of my comment related to DOS floppies.

> > Is it really true that bootxx conflicts with the Apple Partition Map?
> > You can't have boot blocks understood by OF and an APM on the same
> > disk?
>
>No, installboot generates its own apple partition map, destroying any map
>which was there before. bootxx is not at fault.

So in theory one could update installboot to read the existing map
and reinstall it with a usable bootxx?  I hate to subscribe to NIH,
but that seems easier than figuring out a Linux boot utility so I can
submit patches to it.