Subject: Re: Speaking of booting NetBSD...
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 14:24:30
At 9:47 AM -0700 6/15/00, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

:)Anyway since you want to switch between hard disk and network booting
:)it's easy.  Just make sure the devalias for enet: is what you want
:)for one option and that the boot-device is what you want for the
:)other.  If you hold down the N key during boot it will use the enet
:)devalias as the boot device and boot-device if you don't.

AFAICT, enet is a devalias on all machines (someone let me know if I'm
wrong).  The syntax for using it is different depending on the OF version.
I've been lax about updating the diskless HOW-TO about netbooting macppc
machines (in particular, how to set up dhcp).  It's on my list.

In any case, the 'n' key *only* works on machines with OF >= 3.0.  Also
(AFAIK), netbooting *only* works on the built-in ethernet device.  I don't
know of any third-party ethernet cards with the necessary OF drivers built
into them.

BTW, there *is* a section in the FAQ about how to boot.  Of course, I'd
appreciate comments.

<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#boot-support>

  -- MW