Subject: Re: Booting an OF 1.0.5
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 10:28:47
At 12:58 PM -0400 6/15/00, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>At 8:55 AM -0700 6/15/00, you wrote:
>
>:)First the constructive correction to the FAQ (is the right person
>:)listening?).
>
>Listening, but very busy.  Need to finish writing my dissertation and
>defend it by the 26th.  Then I need to work on revisions from my advisor
>until I finish.

Good luck.  Still have time for my two-character correction?  (Just
insert a partition number of 1 in the boot-from-DOS-floppy command.)

>:)Given the above two problems, how would one set up an OF 1.0.5
>:)machine to boot into NetBSD?
>
>Get a second drive for NetBSD and run "installboot", get BootX working,
>netboot, or write an OpenFirmware program that understands APM and HFS.

I was hoping there was some thread through the limitations that I had
missed.  I missed when Apple Partition Map support was added to the
boot floppy after all.

At least now I understand where the Linux BootX utility fits into the
scheme of things better.  I thought it was just a stepping stone to
support the NuBus powermacs.