Subject: Re: Booting an OF 1.0.5
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 12:58:56
At 8:55 AM -0700 6/15/00, you wrote:

:)First the constructive correction to the FAQ (is the right person
:)listening?).

Listening, but very busy.  Need to finish writing my dissertation and
defend it by the 26th.  Then I need to work on revisions from my advisor
until I finish.

:)Second the generic plea for help.  Is it really true that you can't
:)get OF to boot a file from a HFS partition?

That was my understanding.  "full disk", DOS, ISO, and netboot only for 1.0.5.

:)Is it really true that bootxx conflicts with the Apple Partition Map?
:)You can't have boot blocks understood by OF and an APM on the same
:)disk?

Yes, bootxx, goes in the zeroth sector of the drive and works in "full
disk" mode.  APM goes in the zeroth sector of the drive.

AFAICT easy HFS sharing under 1.0.5 won't happen until someone gets BootX
(the linux tool) to work for NetBSD.  The author of BootX has said he'd be
happy to integrate any changes provided to him.

:)Given the above two problems, how would one set up an OF 1.0.5
:)machine to boot into NetBSD?

Get a second drive for NetBSD and run "installboot", get BootX working,
netboot, or write an OpenFirmware program that understands APM and HFS.

Good luck,

  -- MW