Subject: Re: Speaking of booting NetBSD...
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 09:47:14
At 7:21 AM +0200 6/15/00, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Currently after a reboot I have to do the dreaded cmd-opt-O-F to
>get to Open
> > Firmware and then type:
> >
> > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
>
>Please excuse the one-time-only stupid question of a new subscriber
>(and newbie
>in the whole mac world):
>
>Is there some kind of bootselector available? I'd like to boot my mac via
>network to NetBSD, but sometimes need to boot the MacOS from hard disk.
>Ok, I understand how to do that with OF (but couldn't do it yet, no serial
>cable available), but there has to be a more comfortable way.

Not such a stupid question.

Anyway since you want to switch between hard disk and network booting
it's easy.  Just make sure the devalias for enet: is what you want
for one option and that the boot-device is what you want for the
other.  If you hold down the N key during boot it will use the enet
devalias as the boot device and boot-device if you don't.

Now how do you set a devalias?  I'm not sure on that one, but I think
there are some FAQs that will say if you poke around.