Subject: Booting an OF 1.0.5
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 08:55:20
First the constructive correction to the FAQ (is the right person
listening?).  To boot from a DOS floppy you need to specify partition
number 1 as in

boot fd:1,ofwboot.xcf

It may not be needed for OF >= 2, but it is for OF 1.0.5 on my test
machine.  Of course it then says that the file is in an invalid
format so I assume I have a binary/ascii transfer problem somewhere
as well.

Second the generic plea for help.  Is it really true that you can't
get OF to boot a file from a HFS partition?  I certainly haven't
gotten anywhere trying, but I thought that should be possible.

Is it really true that bootxx conflicts with the Apple Partition Map?
You can't have boot blocks understood by OF and an APM on the same
disk?

Given the above two problems, how would one set up an OF 1.0.5
machine to boot into NetBSD?  I suppose I can create a boot CD-ROM
and set up some options so that ofwboot.xcf will cross-boot from the
hard disk.  Even if I can solve the auto-eject problem a floppy is
just too damn slow for normal use.

Any documentation on ofwboot anywhere?  I think it takes some command
line options, but I'm not sure where to look.