Subject: Serial line woes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/14/2000 08:23:59
Howdy,

Recently I've been trying to get the serial ports on my MacPPC and
Mac68K machines working with NetBSD 1.4.2.  At first I thought the
problem was that the MacPPC port had some troubles.  ...No serial ports
on the newer macs, so not much interest or support.  Logical.

I finally tried to get the serial on a Quadra 800 running last night
though, and find that the serial ports don't seem to work there either.

Symptoms on NetBSD 1.4.2:

	MacPPC: Very strange behavior.  flow control is messed up,
	erratic behavior otherwise.  I can *sometimes* get a few
	characters across the wire, but usually not.  I often
	end up with processes that are trying to talk to serial
	getting "stuck" while trying to exit().  If I were forced to
	guess, I'd say the control structure for the ports is
	filled with garbage so it's confused.

	Mac68K: when I boot, and run std "getty std.57600", things
	are cool.  If I try to run pppd on the port though, it
	ends up in a state where the machine will *not* output
	anything to the serial line.  When I switch it back to
	running a "getty std.57600" I can log in, and everything is
	fine *except* that I cannot get any character echo at all.
	it's like the input side works fine and the output is
	just dead.

I've not looked at 1.4 and 1.4.1 yet.

Anyone have direct experience with this?  If this is news, I'll
investigate further.

Thanks,

-dgl-