Subject: noRe: boot issues with beige G3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: moskimus <moskimus@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/09/2000 11:19:45
At 2:35 PM -0700 6/8/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, moskimus wrote:
>
>>  I have wondered if this has something to do with ofwboot.xcf and the
>>  LOAD-BASE set to 0x6c0000 thing that I have read much about but don't
>>  really understand.  I tried installing on a 7600 and changed the
>>  value of LOAD-BASE on that machine and now it won't do anything.  I
>>  get the startup chime and then nothing at all happens.  I can't clear
>>  then pram with command-option-p-r or get to the OF with
>>  command-option-o-f, both of which I had no trouble with before I
>>  changed that value.
>
>You need to be pressing these sequences before the chime happens.
>
>LOAD-BASE is a variable which tells OF where to load the boot loader. For
>things) but instead needs to be explicitly told. If the value you give OF
>isn't right for the program (ofwboot.xcf) you load, the machine bombs.
>
>Remember also that the 7600 has OF 1.0.5 or so - it has version 1
>OF. Apple never expected this to do anything other than load MacOS. OF was
>for debugging, so by default it uses the serial port (modem) as a serial
>console (at 38400 bps). Booting into MacOS resets the console settings to
>serial console.
>
>Hook up a terminal and see what happens. :-)

The day I messed it up I had been modifying OF settings all morning
via serial console.  (And what a thrill it was when I found that
using the first serial cable I found to hook to systems together
worked for this. I was expecting to have to get a null modem or use
phone-net or something.)  So I had been poking around the OF and
rebooting and poking some more when I decided that the page I was
reading was telling me to change that value.  I guess if that was the
right thing to do then maybe the ofwboot file that I had in place was
the wrong version or I installed it incorrectly.

At any rate, I couldn't get back to OF no matter what I did.  I tried
all the different timings when holding keys down.  Along with trying
to zap the pram and get into OF, I tried booting to cd by holding
down 'c', I tried forcing it to use a different drive with
cmd-opt-shft-del, I even tried pulling the power and pattery and
looking for any jumper that might clear things.  The machine wouldn't
do anything. ctrl-opt-restart also had no effect.

But now I have sent it off to be fixed by someone else.  I haven't
heard back from them on it yet so I may be able to suggest ways for
them to fix it if there is something that I didn't try.

Thanx,
Timothy