Subject: Re: Pathetic responses to models.html
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2000 14:29:26
On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

> I figured that I've mentioned it at length a good number of times but to
> reiterate again:
>
> 	Beige PowerMac G3/DT/233 Rev 1: OpenFirmware 2.0f1

I just got one of the same (with 192 MB Ram) working today.

> Details:
>
> Master/Slave IDE/ATAPI buses do not work under MacOS. So far I have not
> yet been able to boot from a slave device. Booting from anything other
> than CD or Floppy will not work without the SystemDisk nvramrc patch that
> fixes ide0, ide1, and scsi. Once this patch is applied, set load base to
> 600000 (I believe) and enter the boot device into OF. NetBSD see's

In principle, it's supposed to be 0x6c0000. Well, it's supposed to be the
load address for which the binary was compiled. The sad thing is that this
information is actually in the file, so a smart system would be able to
peek and then put things in the right place.

The weird thing I've found is that netbooting gets it right. I had to
recompile ofwboot.xcf for 0x600000. Netbooting goes without a hitch, with
the wrong LOAD-BASE (last I looked).

> master/slave IDE/ATAPI just fine. No clue as to why Apple hasn't even
> bothered to fix it. Bastards. The usual eveilness associated with ZIP
> drives applies too, I have yet to get a Unix box I own to boot 100% of
> the time with it connected. I've yet to get my hands on a Rev. 2 machine,
> but I imagine it has a different OF version since master/slave do work
> under MacOS on that machine (according to Apple) the internal screen and
> keyboard aliases work fine for built in video and adb kb's.
> 	I've been trying to get the machine to netboot this afternoon, if
> I type boot enet:[the ip # I want to assign the machine],netbsd it
> basically DoS's my whole network! Nonstop brodcasts as fast as the
> hardware will transmit. It actually locked up my DECstation solid until I
> unplugged it from the network. It would assign itself the ip number I
> typed in, but so far I haven't been able to pass a bootfile name
> properly. I'll have to reread the faq and add it to my bootptab. Any ideas
> as to why it's bringing my network to a grinding halt?

Just try "boot enet". The machine will do a bootp request, and boot from
there.

ofwboot will want a DHCP server, so you'll need one of those too. But the
dhcp server can also do bootp responses.

I have the home net set up as a 10.0/16 net, and tanis is the Beige G3.

Here's a part of my /etc/dhcpd.conf:

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers <dns server 1> <dns server 2>;
        option domain-name "networks'r'us";
}
host tanis {
        fixed-address 10.0.0.2;
        hardware ethernet 00:05:02:4e:49:3d;
        filename "ofwboot.xcf";
        next-server 10.0.0.1;
        server-name "10.0.0.1";
        option root-path "/nfs/mount/path";
        option host-name "tanis";
}

ofwboot.xcf needs to be in /tftpboot, and tftpd needs to be turned on in
inetd.conf. dhcpd needs to be running. I have it running on the box doing
tftp and nfs exporting.

Oh, I don't think I need the server-name field..

Enjoy!

Take care,

Bill