Subject: boot issues with beige G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: moskimus <moskimus@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2000 14:55:08
Hello all,

I've installed NetBSD 1.4.2 on me Beige G3 266 tower.  Booted to the
floppy and went through sysinst with the NFS option. Everything went
well but the system won't boot unattended.

After I turn the system on it runs through the list of devices and
then prompts me for the boot device.  I type "sd0a". Then it prompts
me for a dump partition, default is my swap partition (sd0b) so I hit
enter.  Then it asks for the type of file system, default is generic
so again I hit enter.

I haven't found anything in the FAQs or elsewhere on the netbsd.org
site that would lead me to believe that this is normal behavior.  I
compiled my own kernel with the only changes being removal of devices
that I don't have/use and there has been no change.

I have wondered if this has something to do with ofwboot.xcf and the
LOAD-BASE set to 0x6c0000 thing that I have read much about but don't
really understand.  I tried installing on a 7600 and changed the
value of LOAD-BASE on that machine and now it won't do anything.  I
get the startup chime and then nothing at all happens.  I can't clear
then pram with command-option-p-r or get to the OF with
command-option-o-f, both of which I had no trouble with before I
changed that value.

I'd be willing to send any log files that might be helpful but I
haven't found any. dmesg does not list any of the prompts that I am
getting and I don't know where else to look.  If nothing else I can
type them myself when I get home.

Thanx,
Timothy