Subject: Re: Pathetic responses to models.html
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/01/2000 23:13:23
On 6/1/00 at 8:05 PM, mw34@cornell.edu (Michael Wolfson) wrote:
> I only got 7 responses when I asked for people to let me know their
> experiences on different machines.  I *know* there are more than 7
> people running NetBSD/macppc.  Granted, the 7 responses were useful,
> but a lot more would be better.
>
> If you struggled getting your macppc machine to work, why should
> newbies do so when all it takes is a quick email describing what went
> wrong.  I don't care if I get the same information 10 times, as long
> as I get it all.

I fall in the "struggling" category.  Is this the best list for asking
install related questions?

Trying to install NetBSD onto a PowerMac 5400/120 machine.

Have to go through a serial cable to get anything to work to avoid the
"CLAIM FAILED" bug.

Via the serial port, I'm able to boot via floppy.
Everything comes up nicely but fails during install from either CD-ROM
or network.

Network used to come up and be pingable from another machine until the
FTP install started.  Now, I can't get NetBSD to ping my nameserver
successfully (yes, I've tried cables, etc.).

Installing from CD-ROM results in a reset on DMA3 or something and then
it's lights out.

I've used the following for my LOAD-BASE settings:

  setenv LOAD-BASE 0x6c0000
  boot fd:0

and because I heard this might work with 6400s (and my machine too)

  setenv LOAD-BASE 0x100000
  boot fd:0

For kick, I threw in:

  setenv LOAD-BASE 0x800000
  boot fd:0

  setenv LOAD-BASE 0x1000000
  boot fd:0

Still looking for ideas.  Until then, I can't update much on the models
chart (though I could probably report on the OF version next time it
boots up.)

Ben
allums@earthlink.net