Subject: Pathetic responses to models.html
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/01/2000 20:05:03
I only got 7 responses when I asked for people to let me know their
experiences on different machines.  I *know* there are more than 7 people
running NetBSD/macppc.  Granted, the 7 responses were useful, but a lot
more would be better.

If you struggled getting your macppc machine to work, why should newbies do
so when all it takes is a quick email describing what went wrong.  I don't
care if I get the same information 10 times, as long as I get it all.

To reiterate:

I'd like to match up OpenFirmware versions with models (I don't have many)
  this is important since this determines how one sets up their bootloader

I'd like to match up 'output' device for machines without a 'screen' devalias
  this is important so newbies don't have to do hours of websearching

I'd also like to know which models are "fixed" by running System Disk (i.e.
so that IDE drives are bootable)

Could anyone with these machines confirm or deny that they work:
iBook
PowerBook 2000 (FireWire)
iMac (Slot Loading)
Motorola StarMax 5000 with Twin Turbo
Motorola StarMax 5500
PowerComputing PowerBase
PowerComputing PowerCurve
PowerComputing PowerTower Pro
Umax J700
Umax S900
Any Daystar Genesis machine
Any non-US Apple machine (such as the 8200)
Any Apple "Server" model (such as the 8515)
Apple Network Server 700
Any other machine not listed

If anyone has a Twentieth Anniversary Mac, could you confirm that the
screen doesn't sync.  Also, can you use a MacOS utility to set the console
of your TAM to be the serial port and does that let you boot NetBSD?

Anyone with a 9500, Umax C500, C600, Apus 2000, or 3000, can I get some
more confirmations about the CD-ROM having to be unplugged?  Also, what is
the model of the CD-ROM that shipped with your machine?

Anyone with a multi-processor machine, does it boot and work (using only
one processor, of course)?

Lastly, if your machine defaults to using serial ports for console (i.e. it
doesn't have a 'screen' devalias), let me know what model you have.  Also,
I'd appreciate knowing whether you figured out a device to use for console
and whether NetBSD boots with this output device set.

Also, let me know if you had to modify the default hardware configuration
of your machine to get NetBSD to boot (such as removing a SCSI card or
CD-ROM).

<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html>

Thanks,
  -- MW