Subject: Re: X Server
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/25/2000 21:59:42
At 2:45 PM -0700 5/25/00, Guy Santiglia wrote:

:)Who would know more about that?  this open firmware is a mystery to me.
:)I booted from  The MacOS 9 CD and it came up in a higher resolution,
:)then rebooted into BSD and it was still 640x480. :(

You mentioned you have an 8600, right?  OpenFirmware 1.0.5 *only* supports
640x480 resolutions.  Unless you know how to program forth to manually set
the video clock speeds higher, you're stuck.

See
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html>
for an example of how to set up the clock signals.  The code in this was
written by one of the Copland developers to set the OF 1.0.5 to always come
up in 640x480 at 60 Hz as opposed to 120 Hz or some othe random frequency.