Subject: Re: X Server
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/20/2000 20:43:18
on 05/19/2000 6:16 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@zembu.com is rumored to
have said:

> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Isobel wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there an other X server for macppc NetBSD than the one installed when
>> installing NetBSD ? which is slow (*very* slow), and only 256 colors, and
>> that cannot change resolution of the screen, and that has no configuration
>> file ( not sure of this ?). Has XFree86 been ported to macppcNetBSD ? (seems
>> it did not). Hope this question is in the right list (should I post this in
>> current-users ?).
>
> Nope.
>
> It's not the Xserver's fault. The problem is that we don't have drivers
> which will let us change the settings on the video once we boot NetBSD. So
> a config file doesn't make sense. :-)
>
> XFree86 is the source for the X we use on all NetBSD platforms. We just
> don't use the same Xserver as i386.
>
> If you want to dive into this, please do! :-)
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Regarding the X Server on macppc, I have my video resolution set to 1024x768
@ millions of colors when I booted the mac into open firmware and installed
NetBSD, I have since had to Zap the PRAM, but have booted the machine and
reset everything the way I wanted it, rebooted into NetBSD and still can
only manage to get 640x480 at 256 colors :/  is there a way for me to set
the resolution and color depth in OF?

Otherwise..what the heck am I doing wrong????

Regards,

Greg